The other day when I went to the supermarket I saw that strawberries were on sale 3 quarts for $5, so I had to pick them up. I have been tossing them into salad until I started craving something sweet and thought why haven't I made muffins before?!
I'm not one to toot my own horn but guys these are so delicious! You have to try them!
- 1 cup non diary milk (I used rice milk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I LOVE Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 kosher salt
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or more if you want-- I like adding more personally)
- zest of 1 lemon
- handful of cut up strawberries
Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, combine non-dairy milk with lemon juice to allow it to curdle (acts as buttermilk). In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. In a bigger bowl mix sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Once it is mixed well add in buttermilk mixture. In thirds add in dry mixture. Lastly fold in strawberries. Make sure you don't over mix! Spoon mixture into muffin tin -- I filled the muffin liners quite full because I wanted the muffins to grow big. Bake for about twenty-five minutes, and look every so often. Remove when they're golden brown and try your best to let them cool down before digging in,